Monday, July 11, 2011

Living Oprah - A Review

I borrowed this book "Living Oprah - My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk" by Robyn Okrant from local library day before. To be honest, when I took my first glance at the book cover, I thought this is a book written by an ex-employee of Oprah Winfrey on her past working experience with the Queen of Talk.

The author Robyn Okrant is a writer and a yoga teacher as well. She is staying in Chicago with her family and had came out with this incredible idea - to run a one year experiment of living with everything Oprah's suggested and recommended to her viewers and fans, for example like books, movies, life principles etc. I must agree that the idea behind this book is brilliant. It will not only getting millions of Oprah's fan excited, but also attracted non-Oprah fans like me. The whole experiment sounds fun and challenging.

The book is well structured and reader friendly. Okrant delivered her monthly journal and daily life experiences in each chapter, in a total of 13 chapters from Jan 2008 till Jan 2009. By the end of each chapter, the author also created a table summary consists of data like how much she had spent, activities taken for that month and some personal remarks as well. The book had been presented in a simple and straight forward way and this make it very reader friendly.

However, although the author clarified in the book that she had no intention to make use of Oprah Winfrey's public image to grab attention, I found it is difficult for me to believe there were no such agenda behind the publication. After all, Oprah Winfrey had been considered as one of the most influential celebrities in the world. Any publication with her name on it, it will surely grab more eyeballs than any other ordinary journal.

To me, Living Oprah is much more like a book for entertainment than life inspiration. The idea is fun and creative. I will give it three stars out of five.

Noel is a freelance translator specialized in English Chinese Translation service. You may also check out his new website about Adult Tricycles.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment